OPERATION TIME: 1825 to 1996
KIRKBRIDE PLAN: No
The Western Lunatic Asylum opened in 1825 as a hospital to treat the insane. In 1905, Dr. Joseph Dejarnette, a believer in eugenics, took over and renamed the asylum the Dejarnette Center. Dejarnette became abusive, and he tortured many of his patients. In 1996, the Dejarnette Center shut down.
While the decrepit asylum is off-limits to people, trespassers have reported hearing footsteps, doors opening and closing by themselves, moans, whispers, and screams.