BUILT: 1739 to 1740
The John Dickinson House, which is sometimes called Dickinson Mansion or Poplar Hall, is located in Dover, Delaware within the John Dickinson Plantation. The house served as the home of John Dickinson, the mansion’s namesake who spent his boyhood in the mansion.
Built in 1739 by Judge Samuel Dickinson (John’s father), the house faced the St. Jones River. The Dickinson Mansion was damaged during a British raid in the August of 1781. Years later in 1804, the property was almost destroyed by a fire. From 1776-77 and 1781-82, John Dickinson lived in the mansion. The house was eventually purchased by the National Society of Colonial Dames of America in 1952, and it was given to the State of Delaware. In 1961, it became a National Historic Landmark. The location is haunted by John Dickinson. EVPs of his voice have been captured on numerous occasions.