OPERATION TIME: 1911 to present
Construction on the Wellington Opera House started in 1911, designed by William Pitt and Albert Liddy. It was named the Grand Opera House at the time, and was made out of brick with wooden floors. The theater was restored in 1977 in order to make it safer and nicer looking.
The Wellington Opera House is haunted by the ghost of Albert Liddy, who committed suicide via hanging inside the building. Many other deaths have occurred here; accidents involving falling of stages, balconies, and catwalks are just some of the fatal events that happen within the walls of the opera house.
In Popular Culture
- The opera house was featured on the episode “Devil Dog” of Ghost Hunters International.
- Ghost Wiki. “Wellington Opera House,” www.Ghosts.wikia.com
- Wikipedia. “Opera House, Wellington,” www.Wikipedia.org