Environmental Causes

Not everything that we think may be paranormal actually is. Some of the most common forms of environmental causes are listed below in this guide.



Carbon monoxide is a colorless, odorless gas that cannot be detected with scent or taste. Low-level exposure can cause flu-like symptoms, such as headaches, dizziness, disorientation, nausea, and fatigue. High levels can prove fatal. Sources for carbon monoxide include: non-vented space heaters, blocked or leaking chimneys, leaking furnaces, gas water heaters, and vehicles in attached garages. If you locate the source of the carbon monoxide, evacuate the area and return only to ventilate it. Purchase a carbon monoxide detector to stay safe.

Mold can be found just about anywhere under the right conditions. It can cause allergies, asthma, and respiration problems. Reactions vary from person to person, but the most common symptoms are nasal congestion, irritated skin and/or eyes, and wheezing. Fever and shortness of breath occur in more severe reactions. Experts should be called in to remove the mold, as it is extremely hard to eradicate it.

For easy detection, gas companies add rotten egg odor to natural gas. A leak is dangerous and potentially explosive. The static produced by walking across the carpet is enough to spark a gas-filled house. It can also cause carbon monoxide poisoning. If you smell gas, evacuate and call your gas company.

Ozone is the colorless gas protecting Earth from dangerous solar radiation. While beneficial to the atmosphere, the gas is dangerous in human-occupied spaces. Exposure can cause respiratory problems, throat irritation, coughing, chest pain, and shortness of breath. Individuals with asthma, COPD, or other respiratory ailments will be particularly affected by ozone exposure. Long-term exposure to the gas can induce permanent damage, including decreased lung function and a weakened defense against respiratory infection. Copy machines and air cleaners are producers of ozone. Exercise caution.

Radon, like carbon monoxide, is colorless and odorless. It’s release from uranium. Exposure can cause serious medical problems. Homes in Michigan have the highest number of radon-related problems. It’s the second leading cause of lung cancer in the United States. Have your home tested for radon to avoid serious symptoms, as it takes a while for the issues to become detectable. The main symptoms of radon exposure include: severe shortness of breath, coughing, coughing up blood, fatigue, weight loss, anemia, dizziness, muscle weakness, and rashes. Test kits can be purchased online or in hardware stores.

This error message is only visible to WordPress admins

Error: No feed found.

Please go to the Instagram Feed settings page to create a feed.

Museum Hours

9:30–6:00, Monday Until 8:00

Museum Location

2270 S Real Camino Lake California

The Loquet Museum fuels a journey of discovery across time to enable
solutions for a brighter future rich in nature and culture.