REMAINS: Paper mill, stone walls
COUNTY: Mobile County, Alabama
STATUS: Still standing
Beaver Mills, Alabama (also known as Beaver Meadow) peaked during the Civil War, when the paper mill was used as a uniform depot. After the war ended in 1865, the old uniforms were used in the creation of bonded paper. The Beaver Meadow Post Office operated from 1890 to 1906. Today, the mill and tall stone walls are the last remaining building of Beaver Mills. Uniform buttons can be found scattered throughout the town. The surrounding woods have reclaimed the abandoned town. Beaver Mills is private property and requires permission to enter. Bridges entering the town have been removed to prevent trespassing.
- Ghost Towns. “Beaver Mills,” www.GhostTowns.com
- Wikipedia. “Beaver Mills, Alabama,” www.Wikipedia.org