BUILT: c. 1915
OPERATION TIME: c. 1915 to unknown
STATUS: Still standing
Brownville, Alabama went through a series of name changes over the decades: Sulpher Springs (named for the nearby mineral springs), Hog Eye (because of the small size of the town), and Red Valley (a majority of the houses in the community were painted red) before it became Brownville in honor of W.P. Brown. During the 1920s, Brownville was a lively place. The Brown Lumber Company and the Brown Wood Preserving Company were based in the small town. Brownsville’s also had a post office (1926 to 1966) and a rural station (1966 to 1972). Now, only one building – a church – remains. Children’s laughter can be heard coming from the church’s vacant nursery.
- Forgotten USA. “Brownville, Alabama,” www.ForgottenUSA.com
- Wikipedia. “Brownville, Alabama,” www.Wikipedia.org